Job Title: Outreach and Volunteer Program Assistant (Festival Canadiana Owen Sound)
Reports to: Event Facilitator; Director of Community Services
Function: to support the Event Facilitator with community outreach and volunteer recruitment for Maawanji’iding: Festival Canadiana, the City of Owen Sound’s signature event for the summer of 2017.
Duration: Ends July 28, 2017
• Develop community outreach and volunteer recruitment strategy
• Make presentations to community groups and schools re: participation and volunteering
• Set up volunteer training and shift schedule in cooperation with Production Assistant and volunteer crew chiefs
• Coordinate community group participation in cooperation with Production Assistant and Marketing Assistant
• Conduct volunteer training and orientation
• Coordinate volunteers on site in cooperation with volunteer crew chiefs
• Conduct follow-up surveys with volunteers and community groups
• Contribute to Final Report, including detailed evaluation of community outreach and volunteer strategies, all aspects of event delivery, and recommendations for future events
• This is an Employment Ontario Job Creation Partnership position. Candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria:
o Must be unemployed and; have an established claim for Employment Insurance Benefits or an established claim for E.I. Benefits that ended in the last 3 years; or received Maternity/Parental Benefits that began in the past 5 years after which the individual remained out of the labour market and is now seeking to re-enter the labour force.
• Excellent verbal, written and computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Publisher and Power Point.
• Career motivation and proven experience in the areas of Volunteer Management and/or Communications.
• Non-profit sector and/or festival experience is considered a definite asset.
• Ability to work effectively with people, especially volunteers, students, and community organizations.
Post Secondary Education in field of Volunteer Management or Communications, or equivalent experience. Driver’s license required, own vehicle preferred. Due to the nature of this position a current criminal reference check (vulnerable sector) is also required.
The City of Owen Sound is an equal opportunity employer, valuing and respecting diversity. We encourage applications from qualified members of the four designated groups.
This position is made possible through a Jobs Creation Partnership (JCP) grant. Please read full eligibility requirements before applying to this position.
To be eligible for Ontario JCP:
Individuals must meet the EI Act’s definition of an “insured participant”. When they apply for assistance, they must be unemployed and legally authorized to work in Canada (Canadian citizen or permanent resident) and either:
• Have a current claim for employment insurance benefits; or
• Have a previous claim whose benefit period ended in the preceding 36 months; or
• Have a previous benefit period that began in the preceding 60 months, during which the individual was paid maternity or parental benefits, after which they left the labour market to care for a newborn or newly adopted child and are now seeking to re-enter the labour market.
How to Apply:
If you live in Grey County: On behalf of the sponsor, please visit YMCA of Owen Sound Grey Bruce Employment Services at: 1450 1st Avenue West, Suite 4A, Owen Sound or 425 10th Street, Unit 7, Hanover, ON. Bring a cover letter and resume and be prepared to meet with an Employment Advisor.
If you live in Bruce County: On behalf of the sponsor, please visit vpi for Bruce County at: 200 McNab Street Suite 201, Walkerton, ON, N0G 2V0. Bring a cover letter and resume and be prepared to meet with an Employment Advisor.