Job Title: Production Assistant (Festival Canadiana Owen Sound)
Reports to: Event Facilitator; Director of Community Services
Function: to support the Event Facilitator with planning and implementation of Maawanji’iding: Festival Canadiana, the City of Owen Sound’s signature event for the summer of 2017.
Duration: 6 months (January 30 – July 28, 2017)
• Research and present revenue generation strategies
• Assist Event Facilitator with specific tasks in Operations Plan including sponsorship
• Select suppliers and contractors for event services, including in-kind sponsors
• Set up vendor registration system
• Process and respond to vendor registrations
• Develop vendor area plan and coordinate vendor set up
• Create site plans and on-site itinerary
• Set up and coordinate outdoor signage design and placement
• Coordinate production area set-up
• Conduct follow-up surveys with key participants
• Contribute to Final Report, including detailed evaluation of Operations Plan, all aspects of event delivery, and recommendations for future events
• This is an Employment Ontario Job Creation Partnership position. Candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria:
o Must be unemployed and; have an established claim for Employment Insurance Benefits or an established claim for E.I. Benefits that ended in the last 3 years; or received Maternity/Parental Benefits that began in the past 5 years after which the individual remained out of the labour market and is now seeking to re-enter the labour force.
• Excellent verbal, written and computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Publisher and Power Point.
• Career motivation and proven experience in the areas of Event Management, Tourism/Marketing, and/or office administration.
• Festival and event experience is considered a definite asset.
• Ability to work effectively with people, especially volunteers, business sector and other staff.
Post Secondary Education in field of Special Events Management or Marketing/Promotions and Communications or equivalent experience. Driver’s license required, own vehicle preferred.
The City of Owen Sound is an equal opportunity employer, valuing and respecting diversity. We encourage applications from qualified members of the four designated groups.
This position is made possible through a Jobs Creation Partnership (JCP) grant. Please read full eligibility requirements before applying to this position.
To be eligible for Ontario JCP:
Individuals must meet the EI Act’s definition of an “insured participant”. When they apply for assistance, they must be unemployed and legally authorized to work in Canada (Canadian citizen or permanent resident) and either:
• Have a current claim for employment insurance benefits; or
• Have a previous claim whose benefit period ended in the preceding 36 months; or
• Have a previous benefit period that began in the preceding 60 months, during which the individual was paid maternity or parental benefits, after which they left the labour market to care for a newborn or newly adopted child and are now seeking to re-enter the labour market.
How to Apply:
If you live in Grey County: On behalf of the sponsor, please visit YMCA of Owen Sound Grey Bruce Employment Services at: 1450 1st Avenue West, Suite 4A, Owen Sound or 425 10th Street, Unit 7, Hanover, ON. Bring a cover letter and resume and be prepared to meet with an Employment Advisor.
If you live in Bruce County: On behalf of the sponsor, please visit vpi for Bruce County at: 200 McNab Street Suite 201, Walkerton, ON, N0G 2V0. Bring a cover letter and resume and be prepared to meet with an Employment Advisor.