Role: The Shift Supervisor – Housekeeping ensures the safety of all members, staff, property and self by following established Workplace Health & Safety practices and procedures. This individual is responsible for keeping the facility and equipment clean and in good repair at all times and provides leadership to Housekeeping staff, providing direction to cleaning processes and monitoring work output, quality and completion. This position requires the flexibility to work evenings/early mornings, weekends and holidays as required, based on needs. Hours of work may vary between 28-35 hours per week. Every effort will be made to provide as much notice as possible for any schedule changes. This position will require physical labour, lifting, working with a variety of materials and working at heights, among other manual tasks.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Provide leadership and coaching to housekeeping staff, providing direction to cleaning processes and performance by monitoring to ensure work output, quality and completion
• Conduct end of shift audits and nightly facility walk through and submit to Maintenance Lead.
• Review nightly housekeeping checklists and provide feedback/comments to Maintenance Lead as required.
• Assist with planning and delivering team meetings, training, participate in planning/training sessions (including Child Protection training) and professional development opportunities as required.
• Assist the Maintenance Lead with Annual Performance reviews by providing feedback and comments.
• Assist with orientation and general on-the-job training for new staff.
• Perform all light duty cleaning, project cleaning, general cleaning and keeps equipment clean at all times
• Clean all areas of the facility and common area as per standard – dust, sweep, wash, mop, vacuum, etc.
• Replenish toiletries and soap
• Remove garbage and recycling
• Perform equipment set-ups/take downs in program areas as needed
• Keep doorways and outside areas safe; including garbage pickup, salting and snow clearing as necessary
• Ensure the safety of all members, property and self by following established Workplace Health & Safety practices and procedures
• Monitor commitment to service excellence by role modeling and upholding YMCA SAM standards and other set guidelines, suggesting and implementing improvements, and fostering an environment of clean culture with department team
• Model desired behaviours to staff in line with our Mission, Vision and Values; establish rapport and maintain effective relationship building behaviours with staff and members; represent the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner
• Understand and integrate the value of philanthropy and volunteerism and impart this knowledge and belief upon staff, volunteers and members
• Actively participate in all required trainings and meetings, including Child Protection training
• Support and encourage team work and communication within the maintenance and housekeeping department; and with other staff teams
• Keep in contact with staff by having a walkie-talkie on person at all times; perform a radio check at the beginning of your scheduled shift
• Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or equivalent - Two or more years relevant work experience including previous supervisory experience - Attention to detail and organization - Committed to excellent customer service and team work - Excellent communication skills - Current Standard First Aid / CPR Level C / AED Certification - Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Check issued no later than 90 days preceding start date.