The Town of The Blue Mountains is a growing and progressive, four-season community with stunning natural features, including the Niagara Escarpment, Beaver Valley and the Georgian Bay shoreline, and the various recreational activities and experiences they afford. We are seeking to fill the position of Harbour/Cemetery Building Maintenance Operator in our Community Services Departments for an 18-month contract. Advantages of The Blue Mountains include excellent quality of life, endless opportunities, the amenities of a complete community and proximity to the Greater Toronto Area, come join us!
Reporting to the Acting Director Community Services the Operator will:
• Inspect facilities and grounds to determine functionality, detect malfunctions and needed repairs while making notes and recommendations using a pre-established check sheet.
• Performs minor facility maintenance (e.g. painting, minor plumbing, minor HVAC, carpentry, etc.).
• Perform scheduled preventative maintenance on all equipment, and record.
• Operate equipment and perform general landscaping maintenance at the Cemeteries, Harbour, Town Hall, Ravenna Hall and O.P.P. Detachment facility.
• Monitor and maintain Harbour, Cemeteries, Town Hall, Ravenna Hall and O.P.P. Detachment facilities and equipment including site inspections.
• Operation of equipment including skid steer during boat launch, haul out procedures as well as dock maintenance and repairs.
• Providing fuel and pump-outs to customers at the service dock.
• Assisting boaters with docking.
• Preparation and securement of area for excavation and trenching burials as well as closing interments.
• Assist with ensuring efficient day-to-day operations and functions of all department- related facilities and programs including assisting with scheduling of all mandatory facility related inspections including preventative maintenance schedules and fire safety requirements.
• Assists in the maintenance of a positive team environment by working co-operatively with other employees, using the appropriate processes for handling problems, helping to motivate and encourage peers, contributing ideas, and assisting others where necessary.
• Provide support to all division staff, including departmental vacation relief and back-up as assigned from time to time.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
• Requires high school graduation
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Pleasure Craft Operators Card (to be obtained within one month of employment)
• VHF Marine Radio Licence (to be obtained within one month of employment)
• Proven skill and ability required to perform general repairs and maintenance
• Knowledge of security and emergency procedures to ensure the security of all facilities and the safety of patrons including Standard First Aid, CPR C & AED
• Possess and maintain a valid Class G Ontario Drivers Licence
• Must be able to work independently as well as a team player
• Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, carry items such as mops, shovels, bags of garbage and boxes; must be able to mop, sweep and vacuum floors, reach and bend, stock shelves.
• Must be prepared and able to work both indoors and out and in all seasons; weather conditions ranging from very cold to very hot and humid and able to work in an environment with exposure to cleaning materials (all required Personal Protective Equipment required is available and must be used).
• Knowledge of cleaning and waxing compounds, heating and ventilating equipment, lawn mowers, irrigating systems, snow blowers, lawn and plant fertilizers and insecticides, floor buffers and custodial equipment, and basic tools utilized in building maintenance; considerable knowledge of maintenance and repair work; thorough knowledge of proper safety techniques and procedures.
• Skill in the operation of a variety of hand tools
• Ability to understand and carry out routine oral and written instructions, make routine decisions independently, sustain long periods of light to moderately heavy physical activity, and work harmoniously with others.
• Basic knowledge and capabilities with computers
Hourly Salary Range: Grade 3 ($18.66 - $22.91 - 2018 Rate)
Thornbury, The Blue Mountains