Mar 12, 2018
Apr 12, 2018
Full-Time Seasonal/Contract 6 Months
Established by the Council and may be reviewed annually.
How to Apply:
310 10th St. West , Owen Sound Ontario N4K 3R5
Central Westside United Church
The Custodian is responsible for the effective caretaking of the church building and its surroundings, including ensuring the security and general appearance of the buildings and surrounding areas are maintained in accordance with the required standards and that lighting and other systems operate at optimum efficiency. Relationship with both paid and volunteer Staff is crucial to the success of the position. Also, sensitivity to the comings and goings of people, as well as religious and non-religious activities is paramount. Disruptive work must be scheduled around and complementary to activities on the premises. Due to the strong possibility of sensitive information passing through the incumbent’s hands as a result of the responsibilities, this staff position requires that the incumbent demonstrates exceptional confidentiality and discretion whilst on or off the job. In order to function at the expected level, the incumbent must possess a keen awareness of church operations in order to respond proficiently and appropriately to job responsibilities
Required competencies, abilities & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience of caretaking, building cleaning and building maintenance procedures, and knowledge of building cleaning methods.
- Ability to pursue high standards of work, and be effective and efficient in doing so.
- Ability to work effectively and demonstrate careful attention to details with minimum supervision.
- Ability to take initiative, prioritise work, handle pressure from strict and/or unexpected deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task and to follow-up on several work processes simultaneously.
- Ability to work alone with limited or no supervision and use independent judgement.
- Ability to work as part of a team under the supervision of the Property Chairperson.
- Ability to keep matters confidential and maintain a high level of professionalism.
- Ability to manage own work effectively and monitor work quality.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy items and comfortable working at height.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to use tools and equipment for the job.
- Ability to carry out general minor repairs.
- An understanding of building security.
- ‘Do-It-Yourself’ (DIY) handyman skills.
- Good literacy and numeracy skills.
- Ability to use own initiative.
- Ability to be flexible.
*Evaluation: Performance in this position will be evaluated annually by the Ministry and Personnel Team and conducted in accordance with Church Policy.
*Remuneration: Established by the Council and may be reviewed annually.
6 Month Contracts run May 1st - Oct 31, Nov 1st - Apr 31
Work Site Location:
Share this posting:
RETURN TO THE MAIN JOB BOARD