The Town of The Blue Mountains is a growing and progressive, four-season community with stunning natural features, including the Niagara Escarpment, Beaver Valley and the Georgian Bay shoreline, and the various recreational activities and experiences they afford. We are seeking to fill 3 contracts for Seasonal Parks & Trails Operators within our Community Services Department. Advantages of The Blue Mountains include excellent quality of life, endless opportunities, the amenities of a complete community and proximity to the Greater Toronto Area, come join us!
Reporting to the Manager of Parks and Trails the Seasonal Parks & Trails Operator is responsible for day-to-day outdoor maintenance and ensuring that the parks, trails and grounds amenities of the Town are well kept, including Town Hall and its grounds. As well as, other areas around the community that are under the umbrella of Council and the Town of The Blue Mountains. Duties include operating a variety of heavy and light powered equipment such as tractor with attachments, riding lawn mowers, chain saws and hand tools necessary in performing general landscaping and maintenance of all municipal park sites, cemeteries, municipal walkway system and various municipal institutional sites. Specific tasks include cutting grass, raking grass, chainsaw operation, repairing lands, planting, watering and providing care for nursery stock opening and securing buildings and general manual labour. Maintenance of and responsibility for equipment and assets of the Division. This includes required documentation of logs and Division records and policy inspections of trails, municipal properties and playground equipment. Assist with training and leadership of seasonal summer students.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
• Minimum high school graduation
• Diploma in Horticulture or related fields is considered an asset
• Minimum 2 years of experience in a parks/team environment
• 1-3 years of experience completing gardening work is considered an asset
• Horticultural, arborist, sports field, irrigation, landscaping & municipal experience are all assets
• Experience operating and maintaining equipment
• Be physically fit and able to lift up to 60 lbs.
• You have the ability to work shifts, including nights, weekends and statutory holidays as per schedule and in inclement weather
• Valid Ontario driver’s license
• You are knowledgeable of the operation and maintenance of powered equipment such as lawnmowers, chainsaws and small hand tools
• You have knowledge of and the ability to apply and interpret relevant regulations, acts, policies and procedures (i.e Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, etc.)
• CPR and First Aid Training is an asset
• You are able to work with minimal supervision, follow and carry out instructions
• You possess proven communication skills to respond to general information requests from internal and external clients
• You have interpersonal skills to deal with staff, and to provide clear information
• Valid Standard First Aid and CPR/AED Certificate preferred
• Valid Ontario driver’s license
Information for Interested Candidates:
A detailed job description and instructions on how to apply are available on the Town’s website, www.thebluemountains.ca under Local Government – Career Opportunities. The submission deadline for applications is 4:30 PM on Wednesday April 18, 2018.
Hourly Salary Range: $18.66 - $22.91 (2018 Rate)
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Personal information provided by the applicants is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thornbury, The Blue Mountains