The Town of The Blue Mountains is a growing and progressive, four-season community with stunning natural features, including the Niagara Escarpment, Beaver Valley and the Georgian Bay shoreline, accompanied by the various recreational activities and experiences they afford. We are seeking to fill a new 18-month, full-time contract of Water and Wastewater Operations Administrative Assistant in our Infrastructure and Public Works Department.
Advantages of The Blue Mountains include excellent quality of life, endless opportunities, the amenities of a complete community and proximity to the Greater Toronto Area, come join us…
• Help the Town achieve higher performance by supporting the Manager of Water and Wastewater Services and the Water and Wastewater operations groups.
• Provide effective and efficient administrative support to the Water and Wastewater Services Division including research and coordination support as required.
• Provide assistance as required to the Director of Infrastructure and Public Works
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide secretarial, clerical and administrative support to the Manager of Water and Wastewater Services /Assistant Director and Water and Wastewater Supervisors, including: typing development reports, advertisements for progress payment certificates, divisional policies and procedures, developing general correspondence, filing, scheduling/calendar, coordinating course/seminar registrations and travel arrangements.
• Coordinate locates for utility companies, contractors, developers and/or the general public and assist in directing staff with timing, implementation and data keeping for safety and protection of Town infrastructure. Coordinate mapping updates and updates to Ontario One Call using the 360* Feedback Tool in accordance with legislation. Process and circulate completed locate requests to requesters. Communicate with Manager of Water and Wastewater Services / Asst. Director and Operations Staff about changes to locate process.
• Coordinate and relay information from the Manager of Water and Wastewater Services to support staff.
• Assist the Manager of Water and Wastewater Services with the preparation, research and management for technical studies, proposals and reports for all Water and Wastewater Services facilities, and other divisional projects and initiatives.
• Maintain and monitor divisional personnel records, performance evaluations and staff changes as well as assist with the recruitment and selection process.
• Ensure inquiries are appropriately dealt with by providing documents, information and assisting the public, contractors, engineers, lawyers and other agencies regarding water and wastewater related policies, applications, inspections, and processes; coordinate and relay information to divisional staff; refer inquiries to appropriate Water and Wastewater staff, as required.
• Maintain, coordinate and follow-up applications (MOECC, conferences, training), and correspondence, as required.
• Ensure records are maintained for water and wastewater connections.
• Assist with the preparation, advertising, receiving, evaluating and awarding of divisional tenders.
• Assist with the development and standardization of divisional policies and procedures.
• Assist with the preparation and coordination of the divisional budgets.
• Provide back-up support for the Infrastructure & Public Works Administrative Assistant with regards to Operational Efficiency Committee meetings and other duties.
• Assist with monitoring, maintaining and follow-up of day to day operational record keeping including, operations manuals, contingency/emergency planning, consumer relations, hydrant records and internal minutes.
• Assist with inquiries/concerns regarding water and wastewater quality issues by documenting the incident and relaying the information to Compliance & Efficiency Coordinator and Water and Wastewater Services Operators for response.
• Assist with providing input and preparation of related summary reports including any recommendations as may be outlined.
• Ensure maintenance of an efficient distribution and collection record management system, (i.e.: curb stop, clean out drawings).
• Provide Secondary Switchboard Coverage (zero-out – personal assistance) for Town Wide incoming calls. Direct incoming calls and visitors to the appropriate individual Staff person including the logging of all requests and inquiries received in this role.
• Liaise with and participate in special groups and committees as available (HR Engagement, Service Request Team, Website Group, etc).
• Develop mapping using GIS based tools as requested.
• Maintain confidentiality within the Department regarding internal and external affairs.
• Act as the Water and Wastewater’s website liaison for all Division matters related to the Intranet and Town Internet
• Assist the Manager and other division staff with the preparation, research and management of technical studies, proposals and reports for long-term other divisional projects and initiatives
• Ensure that all internal/external communications are AODA compliant and act as the Division expert in AODA template design and development
• Responsible for accessible template creation and maintenance
• Liaise with the Human Resources department to assist in scheduling onboarding, orientation and exit interviews for all staff in the Water and Wastewater Division
• Assist with the development and standardization of departmental policies and procedures including ensuring all documents are produced in an accessible format
• Ensure inquiries are appropriately dealt with by providing documents, information and assisting the public and community stakeholders/partners; refer inquiries to appropriate town staff as required
• Provide support to all division staff, including departmental vacation relief and back-up as assigned from time to time
• Arranges for advertisements to appear in local media and Town Website
• Personally comply with all health and safety practices as it relates to the work, standard operating guidelines and the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Required Education & Experience:
• Requires 2-year post-secondary in a related field
• Minimum 5 years of administrative experience in a municipal engineering or related environment
• Requires at least one to two years’ experience in dealing with the public
• Word processing, spreadsheet and database computer skills required
• Must have good organizational skills to maintain records and ensure reports are completed in a timely manner
• Responsible for the basic care and proper usage of office equipment
Information for Interested Candidates:
A detailed job description and instructions on how to apply are available on the Town’s website, www.thebluemountains.ca under Local Government – Career Opportunities.
The submission deadline for applications is 4:30 PM on Friday, April 20, 2018.
Salary: $45,128.13 - $55,418.77 (2018 Rate)
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Personal information provided by the applicants is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thornbury, The Blue Mountains