Demonstrate knowledge of appropriate menu planning as well as an understanding of food safety and meal preparation, with flexibility in daily operational changes.
This position will oversee the food program, including hygiene, meal preparation and distribution to the rooms. This includes all kitchen operations and ensuring the meeting of all Food Safety and Public Health requirements.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Prepare weekly grocery lists.
• Plan, prepare and cook nutritious daily lunches and snacks following the posted menu and the centres daily routines.
• Distribute food to the classrooms according to the classroom schedules.
• Keep staff and supervisor abreast of any changes to menu.
• Be aware of all children’s food allergies and prepare alternate food items for such children if necessary.
• Be aware of family food preferences and prepare alternate food items for such children if necessary.
• Maintain order and cleanliness in kitchen – including refrigerators, freezers, appliances and storage cupboards.
• Ensure that all food and supplies are within expiry dates.
• Adhere to all food preparation and kitchen requirements as specified by Public Health.
• Obtain & maintain a Safe Food Handler’s certificate and practice safe food handling techniques in food preparation and storage.
• Maintain confidentiality at all times.
• Must have First Aid & CPR-C and police check with vulnerable sector (within past 6 months).
• Demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills with staff and parents.
• Demonstrate an ability to complete all tasks within the designated time frame 7am-2:30pm.
Minimum 1 year experience.