Sep 9, 2020
Sep 23, 2020
$ 24 per hour
Hours per Week:
How to Apply: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
VAW Crisis Worker - Relief
The Women's Centre Grey Bruce
The VAW Crisis Worker reports to her Program Manager and is responsible for providing counselling, advocacy, information and support services for women and children accessing The Women's Centre Shelter services. The VAW Crisis Worker will deliver services in a manner consistent with the goals and objectives of the program and the policies and procedures of The Women's Centre Grey Bruce Inc.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY AND SELECTED DUTIES:
Provides professional-level counselling to Shelter clients, based on a thorough understanding of The Women's Centre counselling philosophy and procedures to include as directed:
- Provides group and individual abuse-specific counselling for women and their children.
- Provides telephone crisis counselling.
- Provides life skills counselling and coaching.
- Provides information about and liaison with community agencies.
- Conducts regular house meetings with clients.
- Plans, with the client, the client's future plans regarding employment, housing, financialneeds, therapy and work on discharge plans from the Shelter services.
- Provides daily support and direction.
- Ensures client confidentiality.
- Reports child abuse in accordance with Child and Family Services Act and Women's Centre procedures and is available for follow-up counselling.
Documents accurately all relevant activities of clients pertaining to their stay at The Women's Centre, using Shelter logging procedures.
- Documents all crisis telephone and day-client contacts.
- Prepares reports to Reporting bodies as required.
- Completes intake and discharge documentation processes for all women and their children who access services within the shelter.
- Updates list of residents: admit, discharge and incident reports, clearly and accurately.
- Completes Case Management, Safety Planning, Risk Assessment, Discharge Plans and reports as needed.
- Completes daily checklist of activities as per shift.
- Prepares client service plans for weekly reviews.
- Assists clients with completing forms.
- Provides information on transportation or provide local bus tickets.
- Conducts House Meetings and provides house meeting reports and house checks.
Provides support services for women and children in residence which will ensure their comfort and safety, based upon a thorough knowledge of Women's Centre procedures.
- Ensures the facility is clean, orderly, and in good repair at all times
- Communicates any problems with the physical plant immediately to the Program Manager.
- Orients the clients to house rules, procedures.
- Implements alert, fire, safety, and health procedures when necessary.
- Handles donations as per procedure.
- Administers petty cash, etc. as defined by procedures.
- Answers the door and telephone as per Shelter procedures.
Provides program delivery:
- Knowledgeable of all procedures relating to the operation of the Shelter.
- Attends and participates actively in team, and staff meetings.
- Works actively and co-operatively within a counselling-team model of service delivery.
- Engages in constructive problem solving strategies with peers and manager to continue to develop and improve program delivery.
- Attends regular staff supervision with Program Manager.
- Takes part in ongoing skills training and development activities.
- Works toward a co-ordinated delivery of service for Shelter clients.
Agency-Wide Program Delivery:
Acts in a manner, which is supportive of the organization, its employees and all agency programs.
- Assists in appropriate public-education initiatives of The Woman's Centre.
- Assists in appropriate fundraising and promotional activities.
- Possesses a thorough knowledge of all agency programs and liaises effectively with these programs.
- Participates in agency-wide program planning reviews, training programs and initiatives.
Common responsibilities for all staff of The Women’s Centre Grey Bruce Inc.:
- Maintains strict confidentiality of all client and staff information.
- Attends team meetings, case management, staff meetings, and staff training as required.
- Ensures the smooth operation of the organization in accordance with all Agency policies and procedures as well as all relevant legislation.
- Participates in the evaluation of services, as required.
- Assists with on the job training of new staff, placement students and volunteers.
- Assists in fundraising activities of The Women’s Centre Grey Bruce Inc.
- Works effectively as a team member with the Board, Volunteers and other members of the staff.
- Provides and accept constructive feedback on work-related issues.
- Promotes a harmonious and supportive relationship between Staff, Clients, Board, Volunteers and Community Agencies.
- Maintains a current awareness regarding woman abuse issues, social justice issues, statistical and program information specific to The Women’s Centre Grey & Bruce Inc., and issues related to the status of women and children in general.
- Adheres to anti-racism, anti-oppression, and feminist practices.
- Deals effectively with job-related stress including assessing personal need for time off and/or professional development.
- Performs other activities as authorized and/or requested by the Program Manager.
The applicant will have the capability of working in the following conditions:
- Works alone with women and children who are in crisis routinely.
- Possesses the ability to lift up to 10 kg occasionally.
- Possesses the ability to perform tasks such as pushing and pulling involved in moving furniture etc. occasionally.
- Climbs stairs daily.
- Bends and reaches overhead routinely.
- Performs housekeeping activities such as bed making, vacuuming, mopping floors etc. routinely.
- Sits and stands routinely over extended periods.
- Must be available to work all shifts: 8am-4pm, 1pm – 9pm, 4pm – 12am, 12am – 8am week days and weekends.
- Must have a valid Standard First Aid/ CPR certification.
- Must have a valid Vulnerable Sector Screen Report.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable transportation.
Hours for this position are scheduled by the Management.
This is a Classification II position within the LiUNA Local 3000 of The Women's Centre Grey Bruce Inc. Collective Agreement.
Work Site Location:
Minimum Requirements / Work Experience:
2 years experience would be an asset
Other Job Requirements:
? Holds a university degree or college diploma in social work or a related field.
? Possesses experience in the area of Violence Against Women (VAW)
? Possesses understanding of women-abuse issues.
? Possesses experience in crisis and abuse-specific counselling.
? Possesses sound understanding of feminist issues.
Share this posting:
RETURN TO THE MAIN JOB BOARD